$50-60/hr (DOQ); Part Time, Remote
Scraper Bike Team is hiring for a part-time Operations Manager to help our small, community-oriented, ambitious nonprofit become organized, effective, and stay on track with our programs and operational commitments. The Operations Manager will design and implement processes and practices across the organization. The duties of the Operations Manager will include managing payroll, invoicing, and accounting, improving performance, developing policies and procedures, ordering supplies, and ensuring compliance. There will be the opportunity, if desired, to support the outreach team on events. The position reports to the Board of Directors.
About The Original Scraper Bike Team
Founded in 2005, the Original Scraper Bike Team uses the bicycle as a tool to foster personal and community development by capturing creativity and providing mobility for at-risk youth living in East and West Oakland. We run community bicycle art and ridership programs, support youth development, and run school based programs teaching bicycle riding and repair. The Scraper Bike Team gives kids a safe outlet and the support they need to make better choices and develop the skills and relationships they will need to achieve success in life.
In 2016 the Scraper Bike Team opened their first neighborhood bike repair facility. Called “The Shed,” it operates out of a modified cargo container where youth learn to repair and decorate bikes the Scraper way, and participate in group rides and community events.
The Scraper Bike team is now a 501(c)(3) non-profit and the Board of Directors and the small staff has set up organizational systems but we are looking for someone to improve them and manage the operation of the organization. The Operations Manager will be instrumental in allowing the Board of Directors and program staff to focus on top-notch, community-rooted programs.
- Maintain and review payroll systems to ensure timely and accurate payroll
- Manage invoicing
- Improve operational management systems, processes and best practices
- Work with staff to order and track supplies and expenses
- Respond to state and federal reporting requirements
- Help the organization’s processes remain legally compliant, including insurance requirement
- Support the Board chair in preparing materials for the Board of Directors
- As needed, provide staff with support, e.g. facilitating internal communications, reviewing contracts, etc.
- Collaborate with staff on organizing events and community outreach activities.
- If requested and available, attend local community events to support the outreach team
Requirements and skills
- Experience as Operations Manager or similar role
- Commitment to Scraper Bike Team’s mission of supporting and celebrating community health and joy in Oakland, with a particular emphasis on the Black community
- Familiarity with business and financial principles and software
- Proficient in MS Office Suite or other similar software
- Patience with need to develop improved practices & systems
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills
Salary and Location
- Approximately 20-30 hours per month, with the potential for more hours when setting up systems or supporting program staff
- $50-$60 per hour depending on experience
- Schedule flexibility
- Work is primarily remote, but availability for in-person meetings or events would be useful
- Sick leave
How to Apply
Please provide a resume, cover letter detailing your interest in the position, and references. Please e-mail the documents as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are interested in moving this process along quickly and will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis, so please apply soon if you are interested. Interviews are expected to start in mid-June 2023.
Our non-profit is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values our employees as individuals with different strengths, backgrounds, and experiences, all who share a passion for the community we serve.